The Affirming Ministries Program is a network of primarily United Church ministries that declare themselves to be fully inclusive of all people.
What We Have Accomplished
Sept 2019: Board Approved the motion to create a team and start the Affirming Process to guide us through
Oct 2019: Call for people to create the Affirming Team
Nov. 13, 2019: First meeting for the Affirming Team
Jan. 2020: Snuggle up and read day - 'And Tango makes three' story - Youth led
Jan. 28, 2020: In Service Performance of 'First Middle Duck Church' Skit
Feb. 23, 2020: Affirm for All Café (discussion and interactive tables)
Mar. 2020: "We the Church" T-shirts design and for sale
June 27, 2020: Pride Sunday - Sermon and reflection of Pride Rights
Nov. 22, 2020: Inside Out Church - Diversity theme
Mar. 2021: Promote and talk about PIE Day with community
April 20, 2021: Board Approved the motion to accept new Mission Statement
May 2021: Updated our Marriage Policy
May 14, 2021: 3 motions made and accepted unanimously by the St. Andrew's congregation
- Motion that St. Andrew’s United Church becomes an Affirmed Church.
- Motion that a New mission statement be "St. Andrew’s is an open, inclusive and affirming spiritual home reaching out to the West Mountain community and beyond, putting our Christian faith into action through a dynamic, interactive and welcoming ministry. We affirm the inclusion, diversity and equity of people of every age, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, family composition, ability, health and social or economic circumstance and encourage participation in all aspects of the life and work of St. Andrew’s United Church."
- Motion that the Affirm Committee become a standalone committee of the Community of Faith Board, with a 2022 Operating Budget line of approximately $200 for membership fees (actual 1/20 of 1% of Net Annual Revenue).
What Happens Next
- Celebrate becoming an Affirming Congregation on 13 June. Find Details
- A Continuing Plan of Action for St. Andrew's